Thursday, May 7, 2009

"Not for the faint hearted" or "Chicken Cannibalism"


So, we had a bit of chicken trauma today.  First, I left the baby chickens (3 mos old) in with the big chickens and then went to the park and put the kids down for their nap, etc.  Basically thought they would be OK together.  Well about 2 I went out because one of the "babies" was being cornered and ganged up on.  I arrived at the gate to the yard and looked down to my horror to see a baby chicken laying prostrate on the ground with its head hidden under the fence.  I lunged to pick it up assuming it was dead.  It was "not dead yet" "only half dead" (to quote Monty Python:)) It had basically been scalped by the other chickens with this flap of feathered skin floating on top of a bloody skull.  I don't know how it was still alive!  So, I cuddled it a little bit and called my mom in a panic (she knows everything about chickens, right, mom?!:))  We prayed for the chicken and separated it.  Poor thing!!!  Then I marched right inside and listed all those cannibals on craigslist and had them sold off in an hour.  Then Adrian woke up and I told him about the dealings of the day.  He then decided it was a good time to "share his chickens" with the neighbor girl, who, might I remind us all, has a chicken attack dog.  It was her dog who maimed and gimpified our chicken last summer.  So, he lobs a chick over the fence to his friend whose 2 dogs then decide it's a good time for dinner.  Everyone panics and the 3 neighbor kids luckily had enough sense to contain the dogs in time.  The father comes running out and has to help the kids catch the chicken who is hiding in a bush.  WOW, what a day!

1 comment:

Kristi said...

OH MY GOSH!! that is some pretty intense action from the chickens! Could you see the chicken's brain?! Kinda gross, but cool. I could put some electrodes on it and study what parts of its brain does what!! I know how now!

Well let's just hope that the chicken prayer gets through.. ; )